Wednesday, May 8, 2019

A Shot Across the Bow or a Softball Over the Plate?

Via Tengrain, I heard the news that Donald Trump Jr has been subpoenaed by the Senate Intelligence Community. Seeing as the GOP holds power in the Senate, I am suspicious of this maneuver... Chairman Burr doesn't seem to be the sort of guy to break ranks with his party. I have a feeling that the Senate Intel Committee will lob softball questions at dopey Donnie (funny that pop culture portrays Eric as the stupider of the two) so he can cobble together a narrative that he can fall back on in case testimony before a hostile House takes place. Steve Bannon infamously opined that Bob Mueller could crack Don Jr like an egg, and I imagine that Adam Schiff could do the same.

I can't imagine Donald Sr taking this lying down, but I haven't seen any indications that he has turned on Burr or the rest of the Republican Senate. This leads me to believe that he knows it's a softball lazily lobbed so his son can hit it, rather than a shot across the bow. I'd like to believe that Burr is genuinely perturbed by the dictatorial turn which the PotUS has taken, but I just don't trust him or anyone in his party.

2 comments:

The New York Crank said...

I dunno about all that. If only the Republicans were permitted to question Junior, that would be one thing, but the committee's Democratic members include mostly notably Kamala Harris, who could be Little Donald's worst nightmare. Also Mark Warner, Dianne Feinstein, Ron Wyden, Martin Heinrich, Angus King (Independent) and (in this case probably useless) closet Republican Joe Manchin.

So if Junior actually shows up, and actually testifies as alternate senators question him, he could be stroked and then whipped, stroked and whipped, stroked and whipped, and so on. In fact, the more I think about it, the more it sounds more like an S&M session than a Senate Committee hearing. But what do I know?

In any case, stay tuned.

Yours crankily,
The New York Crank

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

It's gonna be a wild one.