Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Gonna Be a Long Day

 Last night, I wrote about how today feels like Christmas does to a kid... I woke up at 4AM and couldn't get back to sleep.  I had planned on hitting the polls at 6AM, but the line around the school which serves as my polling place was around the block, so I decided to go to work early... part of me was guilt-tripping because I had last night off, so my two subordinates were tasked with prepping the building for voting.

When I arrived, the parking lot was almost full, and there was a line of people out the door of the building.  I entered through a side door, conferred briefly with my co-worker, and fed my beloved Ginger.

I had planned out voting in the COVID-19 era, having voters enter through the front door and leave (handicapped voters excepted) through a side door.  We have a table set up to block one hallway to force people to go around.  To my dismay, the poll worker manning this table isn't being assertive enough in maintaining a unidirectional flow of foot traffic.  I actually had a talk with him about this, and he's putting down an arrow delineated in tape.

I pilfered requisitioned chalk from the children's arts and crafts table in our activity center to mark out social distancing lines, which will be useful this evening when the after work voting crowd arrives.  I won't be around then, I'll be back in Yonkers, among the after work voting crowd.  I'll have a few hours to wait on line tonight.

1 comment:

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Got to the polls at quarter to five, no wait at all. There was a short line, but knowing my ward and electoral district, I was able to bypass it. From door to door, with a stop at a local pizzeria for a meatball parm to celebrate National Sandwich Day, I was out for maybe forty minutes.