Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Virginia Postmortem

I was initially bummed about the Virginia gubernatorial election result, but I am now more optimistic- after all, the former heart of the Confederacy is now a swing state.  McAuliffe was a Clinton-era retread, a middle-of-the-road candidate who didn't exactly set the world on fire.  Also, Virginia has been Ground Zero for the new culture war issues.  The real issue is, perhaps, sheer contrariness on the part of Virginia voters:

I don't quite get it, saddling one's state with a whacko for four years in order to 'punish' a president who's been in office for ten months, but I'm not subject to Oppositional Defiant Disorder, which seems to affect about one-third of our population.

That being said, Purple Virginia wasn't something I would have expected twenty years ago.

No comments: