Sunday, June 19, 2011

I Figured I Owed Clarence Clemons a Memorial

One of the greats has been silenced- legendary saxman Clarence Clemons is no longer with us. No matter what you think about that Bruce Springstone fella, you must love the Big Man, and mourn his passing. His playing particularly shone in Jungleland off the Born to Run album:





Jungleland is a contemporary epic- it manages to transform New Jersey into a Land of Intrigue, in which a Magic Rat meets a mysterious fate, all accompanied by the siren wail of a brilliant Big Man's enchanted sax.

I have to say that this particular bit in the bio/obit I linked to impressed me to no end:

He moved to New Jersey and was working as a child counselor at a reform school and playing in another band when he first met Springsteen in 1971.

The world is poorer for Mr. Clemons' passing.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

RIP Clarence. What a bummer. I had to watch a Jungleland video last night in his honor.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I had heard that he had had a stroke, but had not heard that he passed. I was fortunate to catch him on the last E street band tour. He was visibly tired, spending a lot of time sitting down.

He still had the chops though.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

My sister was a big Springsteen fan, back when I was just learning that you could listen to music on certain radio stations.

I came to appreciate them a lot more later in life. Thanks for the tunes, Clarence.
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I've never heard a bad thing said about the man, a rarity in this world. We lost a good one.