Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Endurance Tour

So, in a three-day span (Friday to Sunday), I will have worked two double shifts (4PM to 8AM) because of some time juggling with a co-worker. Yeah, I worked sixteen hours from last night to this morning, slept for five hours during the day, and am back on another sixteen hour endurance tour. Needless to say, I have a two-liter bottle of yerba mate- this time, I mixed it with some nettle tea (I have been subsisting largely on stinging nettles for the past two weeks) to make an unholy tonic.

Not having time to hit the bank this afternoon, and having all of two dollars in my wallet, I decided to bring some cooked rice to work, and helped myself to some of the wild grape leaves that grow profusely on the grounds (after all, people, this is Vinland the Good that I inhabit). Blanched for a couple of minutes, they can be used to make half-assed dolmades- or, if you prefer, a grape-leaf "taco", with the leaf in place of a tortilla. Luckily, I have a co-worker who orders from the local Chinese takeout place a couple of times a week, so there's a plethora of soy- and hot-sauce packets laying about. Mmmmm... haute cuisine for the skint. I plan on grabbing a bunch of grape leaves after dawn so I can make proper dolmades when I wake up sometime next week. Of course, there are also some tender young nettles for the taking as well, although many of the plants have matured beyond the peak of palatability.

A good friend and co-worker of mine once told me, "You're not happy unless you're getting your ass kicked!" As you can imagine, I am euphoric right about now. Thankfully, the radi-adi-o is providing some good inspirational music for a reluctant insomniac.

8 comments:

Hamish Mack said...

Jeepers BBBB you make me feel inadequate as I doze off in front of the teevee at 9pm. :)
What line of work is this? No need for manes or job description just generalsed.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

What line of work is this? No need for manes or job description just generalsed.

I work for an educational/cultural non-profit, and someone has to be present around the clock. The best description would be "caretaker". As you can surmise, we're a bit understaffed whenever there's anything unusual going on, and last weekend was our major spring fundraiser. We had to do some serious schedule juggling.

someday, we may meet in a dojo, and BOTH of us can get our ass kicked.

PROTIP: Keep your distance, jab a lot... don't let the bastard close the distance.

M. Bouffant said...

Is there, like, living stuff around that must be monitored?

And a warning: Working nights is alleged to lead to depression (maybe it's just lack o' sun, but that may not be the only factor).

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

PROTIP: Keep your distance, jab a lot... don't let the bastard close the distance.

I have already learned that from the judo belts I have worked with.

HINT: I am also big bastard with a reach, and somewhat quicker than I look.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Is there, like, living stuff around that must be monitored?

You're on to my secret... I watch over a bunch of brain cylinders for the Fungi from Yuggoth.

And a warning: Working nights is alleged to lead to depression (maybe it's just lack o' sun, but that may not be the only factor).

I've never been prone to depression, and we switch off on the schedule. I'm also outdoorsy, so I get a good amount of sun. Thanks for the concern, though!

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

Subsisting on nettles? Really? This post is triggering the Jewish and/or Italian mother in me...which is impressive, as I am neither Jewish nor Italian.


W/v is nothrath, which I guess refers to Christopher Noth when he's out for revenge.

Smut Clyde said...

Working nights is alleged to lead to depression

I take it that a nocturnal but unproductive life is safe.
Asking for a friend.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I take it that a nocturnal but unproductive life is safe.

3AM Zergling rushes are very productive, as are Big Beer Nights.