Saturday, July 30, 2011

That Awkward Adolescent Phase

I almost tripped over this little critter before it took wing and perched on a nearby branch:





I didn't use the zoom on my 2 megapixel phone camera- the boid just sat on it's perch within three feet of my meaty paw. I don't know if it was too young to fear me, or too much of an aeronautical n00b to get the hell away. The spots on the breast of this American robin (Turdus migratorius) indicate that it is a juvenile. The American robin, not to be confused with the European robin (a variety of non-related birds share the name "robin" in the Anglophone world), is a thrush, so if you encounter one cracking snail shells while rock-climbing, look for secret doors in the cliff face.

5 comments:

truculentandunreliable said...

I am clearly drunk and/or 12, because "turdus" made me giggle.

I guess if could, he'd be of the age to giggle about his name, too.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

It is pretty damn funny. Good thing I didn't write a post about Homo erectus.

Smut Clyde said...

cracking snail shells while rock-climbing
Clever little multi-tasking birds.

"turdus" made me giggle.
AHEM.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Nice!

Even the juvenile cardinals let you get *a bit* close to them, so that's your answer.
~

Smut Clyde said...

the juvenile cardinals

I imagine them placing whoopie cushions on the Pope's throne and giggling.