Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Cosmic Donut

The big science news of the day is the development of the first concrete image of a black hole, assembled from data accumulated by the Event Horizon Telescope array using an algorithm developed by MIT grad student Katie Bouman. The image shows the bright, superheated accretion disc surrounding the dark black hole at the center:




In various Secret Science Club writeups, I have written about the black holes that the lecturers have discussed in their talks. It's nice to see a confirmation of the theoretical models, with the bright accretion disc appearing as a halo, or a cosmic donut, around the event horizon of the black hole, inside which not even light can escape the gravity. Science works, science funding is crucial, and the fact that science funding, and even scientific research (and scientists themselves) come under attack by regressive forces is infuriating.

But let us not dwell on earthbound ingnorance, this day is a day for celebration:





While black holes may suck, science certainly doesn't!

2 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

also, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg

Siphiwe Mncube said...

I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease a year ago at the age of 66. For several months I had noticed tremors in my right hand and the shaking of my right foot when I was sitting. My normally beautiful cursive writing was now small cramped printing. And I tended to lose my balance. Neurologist had me walk down the hall and said I didn’t swing my right arm. I had never noticed! I was in denial for a while as there is no history in my family of parents and five older siblings, but now accept I had classic symptoms. I was taking pramipexole (Sifrol), carbidopa/levodopa and Biperiden, 2 mg. and started physical therapy to strengthen muscles. nothing was really working to help my condition.I went off the Siferol (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started on parkinson’s herbal formula i ordered from Solution Health Herbal Clinic, my symptoms totally declined over a 5 weeks use of the Parkinsons disease natural herbal formula. i am now almost 70 and doing very well, the disease is totally reversed!! Visit there website www.solutionhealthherbalclinic.com or E-mail at: info@solutionhealthherbalclinic.com