Tuesday, April 2, 2019

All That Content Lost...

The big tech story of the day is the shutdown of Google Plus. While I never set up an account, several of my beloved commenters commented on this blog using their Google Plus accounts. I have been combing through old posts, and I believe that these comments have all disappeared, though I need to peruse more in order to verify this. All that content, gone... it's almost as bad as the recent Myspace data implosion, which is primarily notable for the loss of a lot of music from that band-heavy platform.

This has me thinking about my own writings now, the very idea of losing everything I've written has now crossed my mind. I'm not exactly suffering Datapanik in the year 2019, but I am considering using the PDF widget at the bottom of each post to save my content on a thumb drive... though the sheer volume of stuff is daunting.

It just goes to show one how ephemeral content can be in this online age... like, you know:





Time to back up...

2 comments:

mikey said...

Settings > Other > Back Up Content

You get a complete .xml file including layout, posts and comments...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Gonna have to look into that, mikey. Thanks.