Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Big Bastard Buys Big Boy Camera

A couple of months ago, so right-wing nincompoop asked me, "How is Brandon working out for you?"  I responded that I was doing well, that the high gas prices (still much lower in the US than in the rest of the world) weren't affecting me that much because I drive a small car, live in a region with top-notch public transportation, and dwell in a neighborhood in which I can conduct the vast majority of my errands (and recreational activities) on foot.  I made fun of MAGAs for driving oversized pickup trucks with immaculate beds because they were invested in performative masculinity to cover their insecurities.

I have to note that I am still doing well in the Biden Economy, well enough that I was able to indulge in some crass consumerism... I actually bought a good camera, the sort of camera one buys when one wants to learn the rudiments of serious photography.  Here is a picture of the camera, a Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR (say that ten times fast), taken with my cell phone camera:

My primary reason for purchasing this camera is the presence this year of some really spectacular birds at my various worksites.  I figured I owed it to them, to my readers, and to myself to take better photographs of them, and the other fauna and flora onsite.  

Right now, I am learning how to use the camera as a camera, and hope to learn how to use the camera as a data storage/transfer device in the coming days.  Hopefully, I'll have some good photos by week's end.  In the meantime, one of my coworkers (the all-around Good Guy who takes care of Ginger when she's on medical leave) is very knowledgeable about photography, and told me to ask him for advice anytime.  Another coworker told me that she had a similar camera sitting in her office, and needed to practice how to use it effectively.  I joked to them both that we should form a workplace camera club.

Thank you, Brandon!

6 comments:

Ali Redford said...

I'm so excited for you and your new camera!

AlbuquerqueDave said...

Congrats on your new Canon. Ken Rockwell's site has a lot of useful info on DSLRs, but take his advice with a grain of salt. Here's his review of the T7: https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/t7i.htm

Richard said...

Congrats. Have fun!

DocAmazing said...

A photograph of a camera. Very meta.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I'm so excited for you and your new camera!

I'm excited, I really want to capture the likenesses of my feathered and furry friends with more detail.

Congrats on your new Canon. Ken Rockwell's site has a lot of useful info on DSLRs, but take his advice with a grain of salt. Here's his review of the T7

Thanks! I figure it's a good camera for a learner.

Congrats. Have fun!

Thanks, I shall!

A photograph of a camera. Very meta.

That's exactly what I was going for.

emjayay said...

You're gonna need one of those foot plus long two pound thousand dollar lenses now. And a jacket and pants with many pockets.