Saturday, October 2, 2021

Beginning Spooky Season on a High Note

When it comes to horror fiction or horror movies, I am a fan of the classics.  Slasher movies strike me as crass and typically misogynistic (oddly enough, I like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which in my headcanon is a satire made by radical vegetarians... and I have decided that iconic villain Leatherface is... I don't bother with sequels... the matriarch of the family).  Give me an old Vincent Price movie, or a Gothic tale of an aristocratic family going mad in a castle, or a Weird Menace tale of a scientist who has Gone Too Far, and I am happy.

In that... uhhh... vein, I was ecstatic to find a treasure trove of five hours of Edgar Allan Poe stories read by Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone at Open Culture.  This is a combination of some of my favorite shuddersome tales and poems recited by two of my favorite 'spooky' actors.  Could there be anything more appealling (and appalling) for October listening pleasure?

No comments: