Friday, January 7, 2022

Deer 58, Where Are You?

I figured that I needed a break from politics, and the perfect excuse presented itself as I was scouting the property with my faithful Ginger.  In the hinterlands of the property, in a somewhat marshy area, I ran into this handsome fellow, sporting two earrings and a fancy collar:



He was fairly tame, tame enough for me to get close enough to snap a quick photo with my phone camera, close enough so that the number 58 was legible on his ear tags.

I've been trying to ascertain what organization has collared this stag, but googling 'deer' and 'tags' results mainly in websites describing hunting regulations in the state.  Adding 'collar' actually resulted in a hit for a website enumerating police responses to hunting accidents and hunting violations.  

The most promising result described a White-Tailed Deer Movement Study run by the U.S. Geological Survey and State University of New York School of Environmental Science and Forestry a few years ago on Fire Island, a barrier island off the south shore of Long Island.  With this information, I might contact these organizations to see if Deer 58 is a subject of a new study.  He's the first radio collared deer that I've seen, and I'd be more than happy to help in any research regarding him..

Post title taken from a classic, New York City set sitcom.

4 comments:

Richard said...

Last week, we went to go check on our local deer herd.

They like to hang out in a certain area. They are looking ok healthy.

Some of the does are wearing collars. We assume it is for research. We think they are monitoring the population.

We saw one with ear-tags. That was the first time i ever saw that.

I can't even tell myself how strange that was.

Ten Bears said...

LOL ~ I had forgotten that call-sign;)

Ali Redford said...

How exciting-I hope you get to help!

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I still have to track down who is tracking my handsome boy here. It's a nice territory for a deer to hunker down in, with a variety of vegetation.

I wish a web search were easier, but there's a lot of 'noise' obfuscating the signal.