Saturday, January 8, 2022

Current Earworm: Overlooked This One Last Year

Every once in a while, while listening to the radi-adi-o, I am struck by something about a song that is new to me.  While driving home from work, listening to one of the college radio stations I typically listen to, a particular lyric to a catchy tune caught my attention:

I didn't take the time to listen to his name
So just for now, I'll call him Ichabod Crane
My Sleepy Hollow baby standing in the rain.

Longtime readers will know that I am a big fan of Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and have a genuine affection for the working class village which, since 1996, bears the name of Irving's formerly fictional (at best fictionalish) milieu.  I also love the story of the historical Ichabod Crane, a man whose storied military career has been almost entirely subsumed by his goofy, timorous fictional landscape.

So, what was this song that hit my funnybone?  It's a paean to a guy who looks like a young Jeff Goldblum, who indeed played Ichabod Crane in a TV movie based somewhat loosely on Irving's story.  It's a pleasant tune by Mattiel Brown and her eponymous band, with droll lyrics and some nice, crunchy guitars:


The song's sound is somewhat of a departure from Mattiel's prior sound, which involved more 'soaring' vocals and instrumentation devoid of grunginess.  The new single, thankfully, reminded me of the old material, for which I am grateful.  Here's Keep the Change, which perfectly showcases her strong, clear vocals:


It's here where I note that I am a sucker for altos.  It's funny how one earworm can lead to an infestation of earworms... and here I am unable to get any ivermectin!

No comments: