Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Big Change on the Workfront

I have been with the same employer for twelve years, starting off as a part-timer, but eventually becoming head of my small department due to my computer literacy. Recently, our management decided to move the organization, a not-for-profit, into the umbrella of a national business administration corporation. While my job doesn't change, nor does my change of command (with the proviso that the national umbrella organization can fire employees for cause, and can even jettison companies that act in bad faith), the name on my paystub will change.

The main reason for this change is due to the cost of medical insurance coverage- by joining a vast, national organization, our small not-for-profit joins a larger risk pool for medical coverage. One major benefit is that the health plan will now include dental and vision coverage. While it seems like a bittersweet thing to have a big corporate name on correspondence, it will sure be nice to get reimbursement for new contacts and/or glasses.

This morning was spent at an enrollment meeting- I had to bring my passport to prove identity and employment eligibility, and a voided check to provide a bank account and routing number for direct deposit. An additional half-hour to enroll in the medical, dental, and vision plans, and I was out the door. It was a big change in my employment situation, which will be effective at the end of the year, but it will be no change at all- same job description, same workplace, same co-workers. It may feel weird, but I could use a new pair of glasses...

2 comments:

Harry Hamid said...

I've been at my job for 12 years too, and I realize how big a change anything at work feels like after 12 years.

I hope the blog page looks more or less the same to you when you have a look at it with up-to-date glasses!

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

In the shower this morning, I was reflecting on how much relief I have felt since the election; given my health issues over the past few years, a huge weight has been taken off my noggin by the rejection of Turdwaffle and the election of Honest Tony Evers. The Wisconsin effort to eliminate pre-existing condition coverage should be dead, regardless of how much bad faith effort the Lege Republicans put into removing a democratic Governor's powers.

But good on ya for getting more effective coverage. Even you Bald Bastards are getting older, yanno.....