Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sinéad or Nay?

In comment to an earlier post, Monsieur Not-so-fresh Undead Guy asked: Sinead O'Connor. Yea or nay? My reply was, I dig Sinead- she's had some rough spots in her career, but I can't help digging her. Whereupon, he clarified his query: Actually, I was asking whether I should bother getting tix for the Milwaukee show. Of course, this question requires a more in-depth answer or, if you are a comedienne, a flip one: I thought it was a more existential question like "if sinead o'connor rips up a picture of the Pope in the woods...can I watch?"

Not being a comedienne, this post will be my answer to the question. The obvious issue here is one of cost- is it economically feasible to purchase tickets? If so, the answer is "Hell, yeah!" I dig Sinéad... along with Michael Jordan and Patrick Stewart, she helped to popularize the bald-headed look that I now sport, and her best-known hit can easily be adapted into a perfect theme song for a big, bad, bald bastard:

I've got no hair,
I've got no hair.
SCREW YOU!


Additionally, she still has a knack for pissing off right-wingers. As an added bonus, maybe she will officiate at a Mass during the concert. Hopefully, she'll be administering the Eucharist in both species, if you know what I mean, and I think that you do.

I'd be remiss if I didn't post a video for my all-time favorite number by Sinéad, her debut single, recorded with an obscure guitarist named David Evans:





I hadn't heard Sinéad's version of John Gibbs' Irish Ways and Irish Laws before now, but it gives me goosebumps (I still think the version by Friend of the Bastard Mary Courtney is the best I've heard, though):





As an added bonus, here's her version of the rebel song Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile, which invokes the name of pirate and feminist pioneer Granuaile as a symbol of national liberation:





So, should ZRM go to Sinéad's concert in Milwaukee? Should Scott Walker be run out of Wisconsin? Of course, I always figured ZRM to be more of a Dolores O'Riordan type of guy.


N.B.: by which I mean Nota Bene: Post title is not to be confused with Shenehneh!

POSTSCRIPT: I imagine Sinéad would have a few choice words to say about Governor Turdwaffle...

11 comments:

Bali Hotel said...

Awesome video. Thanks for sharing.

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

I think Bali Hotel is saying go for the tickets.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I think airfare to Bali would also be a good ticket purchase.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

So, should ZRM go to Sinéad's concert in Milwaukee? Should Scott Walker be run out of Wisconsin?

Yes and Yes.

Should we all go to Bali?

I'm Saying Yes to that one, too.
~

Substance McGravitas said...

I liked this one.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

to be clear, I have seen Sinead; I saw her perform with Peter Gabriel that time she toured with him.

No, not opened up for PG. SANG with him.

Lion And The Cobra was a jarring piece of work when it came out.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Also in re: Turdwaffle.

Bad news on several fronts. First, the GAB verified the recall signatures, only discarding a scant 3% of them. Still over 900,000; That's almost as many recall sigs as Turdwaffle had votes.

Tom Barrett, mayor of Milwaukee and general bad-ass, announced his run. Although he lost to Turdwaffle last time, the electorate is no longer amused and the most recent poll has him beating Turd, within the margin of error. Without Feingold, he's currently running strongest.

And a Federal Judge has struck down a crucial chunk of Turdwaffles anti-union Act 10; he said you can't restrict union activities for one batch of unions (teachers and such) while not restricting them for another batch (firefighters and police). If Walker had done so, he would have been destroyed by the public safety unions.

The courts also tossed out the Voter Id Law that they had hoped to fast-track into use by the recall, thus disenfranchising as much of Milwaukee's voters as possible.

Also, of interest to my thunderous friend, the insanely industry-friendly and industry-written mining pollution law is DOA. And one legislator who wanted to create a hunting season for sandhill cranes saw his bill go down also.

And the Wis Lege is now no longer Repbulican Majority. One of the lawmakers facing a recall decided to bail, resigning and leaving the legislature at 16-16.

And finally, the Wis Supremos tossed out the republican redistricting plan, and said that they needed to redraw. Repubs said, Oh, darn, look at that, we're in recess; the judges said fine; we'll redraw it, you unconscionable chumpnuggets.

Wisconsin was all over the news shows, Maddow, ed, Granholm and O'Donnell. Very weird.

Substance McGravitas said...

Bad news on several fronts.

Almost everything on your list sounds...okay. Except that it had to happen at all.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Tix duly purchased. Waited a bit too long, so it's row U. Hope the young lady has the pipes to reach that far back.

For the record, it's in this place. have seen Elvis Costello there twice, and both times he had them turn off all PA equipment for an encore, and just used his voice to fill the place (which was of course, designed before electrical voice amplification) in spine-tingling moments.

Also of note, I have tix for this one. Mainly for the Die Kreuzen show, but lots of other bands, and one or two I never saw back in the day. I have an extr tickee if anyone is in the vicinity.

M. Bouffant said...

I'm for Bali. You really don't need a hotel, just sleep on the beach.

bbkf said...

thanks for all the sinead! really perked me up this morning...also, count me in for bali...