Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Morning Staff Meeting

This morning, I got my ass up early to attend the big staff meeting at my employers' main office. I met up with two of my co-workers at about ten to eight this morning, and we carpooled to HQ. This being the big meeting for the entire organization, I saw a bunch of people that I only see periodically, and met a couple of co-workers I'd never met before. It also marked the return of our sizable seasonal staff, many of whom I hadn't seen since December. After a breakfast catered by a local deli, we filed into the large meeting room, and took our seats- we were seated with co-workers from other sites, so we could mingle with individuals we didn't know all that well. Seeing that I work with a great bunch, I got along famously with the folks I'd never met before. My Angry Birds story went over well.

The speech by the president of the organization was a mixture of woe and optimism. Like most non-profits, we are experiencing some funding challenges... the fact that our major fundraising weekend was a buried under a foot of snow last year didn't help. This year is going to be a year of regrouping, figuring out what approaches can help the organization get back on track. It was pretty much a boilerplate speech, but the president did express his confidence in the talent and dedication of the staff. One major topic was the discussion of apps that would expand the scope of our organization. A couple of other co-workers made presentations about some of our programs, and we had a brief Q&A session.

All in all, the staff meeting was pretty much what I expected- part cautionary tale, part pep rally. The best part of the whole event was seeing almost everybody... I have confidence in my co-workers, which gives me some optimism about the coming year. At any rate, the broccoli quiche was pretty damn good, and the coffee was plentiful.

5 comments:

kennymfg said...

Totally different from my "Morning Staff"

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

Don't you think it's rude to send your ass to a meeting? Don't you think the rest of you should attend to?

Also too, is there an online place your readers can donate to your non-profit?

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Well if they didn't fire everyone, it could be worse.

/seen some bad staff meetings.

P.S. Good luck, B^4 and company!
~

bbkf said...

i have always been curious about what your non-profit is...and what exactly your position is...

i am verr, verr lucky that my little dinky foundation is very healthy...our endowment rarely is below $1 mil and we recently were able to raise $2.2 mil towards a new hospital...

also, since i am a staff of one, my staff meetings usually are held on my one volunteer's front deck while we drink hendricks martinis...we have grand plans and ideas! i should really remember to bring a notepad next time...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Totally different from my "Morning Staff"

Got wood?

Also too, is there an online place your readers can donate to your non-profit?

If they can get to New York, they can visit us... I'll e-mail you.

Well if they didn't fire everyone, it could be worse.

Yeah, that's so true. I'm in a pretty good situation, myself.

i have always been curious about what your non-profit is...and what exactly your position is...

I'm always leery about posting too much, but if you have an e-mail, I can send you some details.