Thursday, March 8, 2012

International Women's Day

As Monsieur McGravitas notes, tomorrow is International Women's Day. The current GOP legislators in the United States have sponsored over one thousand laws targeting women's rights. Republicans even fought laws that would have ensured pay equity between male and female employees. The cherry on top of the misogynist sundae is GOP water carrier Rush Limbaugh's continued tirade against women.

Well, women are fighting back, with class and wicked, hilarious humor. The troglodytes are going to find it a tough year... even female GOP members of congress are ditching the party.

Today is also Purim, a Jewish holiday which commemorates the heroism of Esther, though an Israeli ad for Purim costumes had the faces of the girls blurred. Here in New York State, Ultra-Orthodox Jewish authorities urged women to keep it under wraps this Purim.

Happy International Women's Day, all... especially all you fundamentalist assholes of all stripes who are incensed that women have gained some measure of rights. Please choke on your own rage at the fact that the majority of women, and a good number of men, are willing to fight back when you attempt to turn back the calendar to the Dark Ages. You're losing, you will lose. Pick your knuckles off the ground and deal with it.

7 comments:

wiley said...

Can't find Dorothy Dinnerstein's exact quote, but it's essentially that, "If a man is not at every point at an advantage, he is at a distinct disadvantage." That doesn't apply to all men, of course, least of all you, monsieur big; but it describes male privilege writ large perfectly. This domineering noise is wearing on my last nerve.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Speaking of the Huge Manatee...

Yup, the human Hindenburg RUSH LIMBAUGH has now lost 48 advertisers, and today did not have enough ads to fill his show and instead broadcast dead air several times for over a minute each time, and once for over 2:48...
~

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

50 million a year allows him to broadcast a lot of dead air, thunder.

Smut Clyde said...

Dead air? That was a tribute to Breitbart.

kennymfg said...

Hooray for all the women in the world.

I gotta say, B4, I'm loving your posts.

Laura said...

I have a friend (online), a female, that thinks Rush L. is just the be all end all. She hasn't said anything on her blog about it all but her Facebook is filled with pro-Limbaugh crap.
It's taken everything that's in me .. all of my strength not to say something to her. Thank goodness that I'm a lover and not a fighter.
I like her a lot but, I cannot for the life of me understand why she would support OR defend such an obvious woman hater!

((Hugs))
Laura

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I celebrate women by teaching them how to kick my ass.

I like the way you think, old chum!

"If a man is not at every point at an advantage, he is at a distinct disadvantage."

It's amazing how many guys think that way- the same applies for white guys and minorities!

That doesn't apply to all men, of course, least of all you, monsieur big; but it describes male privilege writ large perfectly

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Also, they have small penises.

I've never checked, but I suspect you're right.

Speaking of the Huge Manatee...

I actually tuned in for a few minutes to hear the lack of commercials, and there was a gold scam commercial and a pro-Newt SuperPAC commercial. Rush had been blowing smoke up Romney's ass in the segment before the commercial break, and then Newt's anti-Romney ad came on... the schaden, as you always say, freudes itself!

50 million a year allows him to broadcast a lot of dead air, thunder.

50 thou a year will buy a lot of beer!

Dead air? That was a tribute to Breitbart.

I imagine Rush was holding a lighter up during the break.

I gotta say, B4, I'm loving your posts.

Thanks, kg, time to start blogging yourself, old chum! The blogroll has a spot with your 'nym on it!

I like her a lot but, I cannot for the life of me understand why she would support OR defend such an obvious woman hater!

Rush succeeds because he tells people that their prejudices aren't just alright, but are correct. I honestly think that his attack on Sandra Fluke led to the firestorm largely because Ms. Fluke is an educated, middle-class, attractive white woman. If he had attacked a poor black or Hispanic woman, the outrage would not have been so loud- a lot of women who make purchasing decisions are more or less like Sandra Fluke, so the advertisers have been bailing.