Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Solemn Feast of Saint Patrick

Thanks to my great co-worker, I was able to juggle my schedule so I could celebrate my Goidelic heritage by living up to the negative stereotype. In order to gain some drinking time, I am working a double shift (Friday afternoon into Saturday morning). I'll have some hours to sleep, then hit the ground running in the evening, and by ground I mean the pubs.

Soooooo... how about a lovely little song about a couple of seaweed vendors arguing because one is courting the other's daughter? My favorite version is by the glorious Altan:





My favorite song by Altan, though, is Moll Dubh a' Ghleanna, which on one level is a love song about a spirited dark-haired girl, but is also a code for the illegal distillation of moonshine (warning: link plays 8 bit rendition):





Because I will have been working for 16 hours overnight, I think I'll blow off my tradition of baking a couple of loaves of soda bread (a few years back, I spent some time wandering around Manhattan with a loaf of it stuffed under my jacket for my off-the-boat Polish girlfriend who'd never had it. Luckily, it was a cold day). This recipe comes close to the one I use, but I substitute vegetable oil for the butter, and add it to the buttermilk before adding it to the dry ingredients. I also insist on using both dark and golden raisins in my spotted dog. This year, I got a kinky idea which will entail some experimentation... I am going to see if soda bread biscotti are viable. What better tribute could there be to my father's Italian/Irish Bronx heritage?

3 comments:

Laura said...

I think that in the spirit of St.Patrick's Day, I should make some soda bread. I've never tried it before. :)
Love the music! Enjoy your day but don't be getting into any drunken brawls. ;)

((Hugs))
Laura

vacuumslayer said...

I spent some time wandering around Manhattan with a loaf of it stuffed under my jacket for my off-the-boat Polish girlfriend

This feels like it should be a euphemism for something.


Hope you had a an awesome day of drunken debauchery.

Aunt Snow said...

Three or so years ago my 20 year old son managed to get tickets to see the Pogues in NYC on St. Pats. I don't think you can beat that.