Friday, April 8, 2022

Palate Cleanser: Unplugged but not Unbowed

The political discourse has gotten particularly stupid and nasty, the Ukraine situation is unremittingly horrific, and COVID is still a problem, so I figured I needed a break.  In times like this, it's nice to hearken back to a simpler time, when things were still pretty bad, but youthful optimism still holds out.

In my case, I have been an unabashed Joan Jett fan from the get-go.  I love Joan's music, but I love Joan herself... besides having a fierce sex appeal that doesn't diminish from her badasssery, Joan is valiant, a crusader for justice, a savior of the helpless... there's nothing about her that I do not love LOVE LOVE.

In an interesting change of pace from her loud, hard-rocking oeuvre, Joan has released an album of acoustic versions of her classic hits.  Here's an almost plaintive version of her signature tune Bad Reputation:

For a particularly topical song, here's an acoustic version of her cover of the Replacements' Androgynous, a particular favorite song of mine:

If Joan Jett is on your side, you're on the right side.

The whole album is great fun... Joan sounds just as bad in campfire singalong mode as she does in stadium concert mode.  It's not-quite-nostalgia, the old songs being a different style, but it's nice to hear new aspects of old favorites.

2 comments:

Ali Redford said...

Thank you for this! I've been a Joan Jett fan since I first heard her.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Joan's the best.