Friday, August 6, 2021

The Tourist-ish Season Begins

Today was the first day of our truncated tourist season- one of our sites is open for timed tours, three two-hour blocks per day on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, with visitors limited to outdoor areas of the site.  We are still understaffed, so I had to close down the open site at the end of the day, and then head over to my principal site in order to feed Ginger, and work until midnight.  

In the meantime, my coworker who has been out sick since June is pondering a return to work.  Our HR department is slow-walking his return because our boss is out, handling a family medical emergency.  It doesn't rain, but it pours.

I'm working on the assumption that the current staffing situation will hold for the rest of the month, but am certainly looking forward to a change in our short-staffing problem.  The day-to-day work is pretty low-key... while I had to be Johnny-on-the-spot regarding clearing the site of visitors and closing it, most of my time was occupied by welcoming back the seasonal, part-time workers who are the backbone of our daytime staff.  It's been WAY too long since I've seen them.  Tomorrow being Saturday, I imagine I will be busier, and the drive from Site A to Site B may be more of a pain, but that's a small price to pay for having other humans on site for the first time in months.

No comments: