Thursday, December 31, 2020

Glad to See an End to 2020

 I cannot lie, this year was terrible, and it lasted for a couple of centuries.  Spring seemed to drag on forever, with shortages of certain items at the supermarket, and my tendency was to squirrel away a package of beans and a package of some sort of grain product every time I went grocery shopping.  I ate a lot of beans this year.

I've been one of the lucky people, my job duties have been diminished in no way, and my wages were unaffected.  I can't say the same for most of my co-workers... the seasonal part-timers who form the bulk of our workforce were on furlough for most of the year, though we had a truncated season with a couple of outdoor events to placate our big fans who purchased annual memberships for this non-starter of a year.

Regarding the actual pandemic, I lost two friends to the disease, while two other friends of mine had it and recovered after a couple of weeks of suffering.  One friend related to me his call to an ambulance service when he had a temperature of 104, and was told not to even bother calling again unless he was having difficulty breathing.  I've been lucky, all things told- I spent the last week of February and the first week of March taking the subway quite a bit, though I haven't been to Manhattan since March.

Yeah, I'm glad to be able to put this interminable year behind me, as I'm sure many people are.  I hope everybody reading this has a safe and healthy 2021.  It'll  be rough going for a couple of more months, but at least there seems to be an end to this crisis in sight.

3 comments:

Ali Redford said...

Here's to a much better 2021 for all. Thank you so much for brightening so much space, BBBB! Happy New Year to you.

StringOnAStick said...

I am hoping for better times for all.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Thanks, love you both!