Monday, February 2, 2015

Here We Snow Again, or the Groundhog Pooped Itself

I typically don't celebrate Groundhog Day, it reminds me of a time in my life during which I was mired in criminality, and pursued a bitter rivalry which only ended in the death of my foe. For me, there's a lot of emotional baggage that accompanies Groundhog Day, even though I've made my peace with the past.

Today, I think the groundhog shit itself... we got hit with a snowstorm that affected my area harder than the last one did (thankfully, we only got about five or six inches of snow, but it was weighed down with freezing rain). It took me over an hour to get home at 1AM- I was in a line of cars following a pair of snowplows, shaking my head all the time at the lack of distance the drivers left between cars- seriously, pileups happen, people. Thankfully, I don't have to be back at work until Wednesday night, but I am feeling a slight twinge of guilt because this is the second week in a row in which I've dodged really bad weather. Oh, well, I draw up the schedule weeks in advance- and I don't have access to President Obama's Weather Smurfing Machine.

Tonight, it's supposed to get frigidly cold, so the area's going to be a skating rink. Not having to leave the house, I decided to take on a time-consuming project, making a moussaka. For the record, I'm using two layers of eggplant and one layer of potato. It's supposed to warm up considerably on Wednesday, so I can dig out the car then... at least I'll have a hearty lunch waiting for me, and moussaka always tastes better after it's had a day or two to "come together".

Unfortunately, I can't just ensconce myself in the house for the next six weeks.

3 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

here's how Groundhog day works:

Big deal, pictures and newspapers. Groundhog does something. Papers report something.

Weather does what it does. Nobody remembers what the Groundhog was supposedly predicting.

Everybody moves on, and then refuses to vaccinate their kids.

Belief in magic is just sick.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Here in Wisconsin, six more weeks of winter? Yeah, define "winter" but six more weeks of shit and cold, that's kind of a given. SCREW YOU GROUNDHOG!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Groundhog does something.
~