Friday, February 6, 2015

Current Earworm, Netherlands New Wave Style

This being a bit of a grim week on the local news front (two horrific mass-transit accidents took place locally in the past seven days), I figured I'd alter the mood a bit by posting a video. My current earworm is a blackly comedic song by new wave band Gruppo Sportivo of the Netherlands. Their song Mission a Paris is a bouncy number, starting off as a tale of unrequited love for a stranger while on vacation and morphing into a tale of counterespionage which ends up with a dead 007 found in the Eiffel Tower's safety nets with piss-soaked tuxedo pants. Sorry, Mr Fleming, the world of "fanfic" doesn't have to respect plot immunity:





Dig that kazoo! The original studio version from the 1978 album Ten Mistakes actually has even more kazoo. The band's sound and their darkly whimsical subject matter reminds me of the Rezillos, another old band that I dig. Sorry about inflicting an earworm on you, folks, if you're like me, you'll find yourself singing: I'll buy a dictionary and look up what you said to me compulsively for a few days.

2 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I never heard them before. Thanks!
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I never heard them before. Thanks!

I had never heard of them until recently, when a local radio station played them on it's daily "flashback to a particular year" feature.