Saturday, February 7, 2015

Trillions of Fellow Passengers

Today was a typical winter Saturday for me, I hopped on the number 1 subway train at 238th St in the Bronx and rode down to midtown for my Saturday volunteer coaching gig. I'm not a germophobe, so I wasn't particularly freaked out by the discovery that the NYC subway system is teeming with microorganisms, with 48% of the DNA recovered belonging to organisms that were previously unknown. There were a couple of samples which had DNA associated with anthrax and three samples of DNA associated with bubonic plague, but I'm not worried- bacteria tend to be promiscuous and exchange genetic material like swingers swap spouses at a key party. Anthrax on the subway? I've never seen them busking.

There are some really interesting findings- the Sandy-flooded South Ferry station has a marine microbial profile, with some specimens typical of Antarctica. Throughout the city, bacterial profiles tend to resemble the residents' eating patterns, with bacteria associated with cheese, sauerkraut, kimchi, chickens, and chickpeas (but not Cornish chickpeas) being found in various parts of the system.

The interactive Pathomap promises to be as much of a fun time sink, albeit a less pretty one, as the gorgeous Welikia Project. I'm not freaked out by the discovery of all of these fellow subway passengers, I'm comfortable knowing that I have an entire world in my guts, and that many of its natives are bacterial buddies that I can't do well without. The subway is teeming with microorganisms, and that's a beautiful thing. Maybe the MTA can start spraying the subway cars with a probiotic culture after the trains are cleaned.

That being said, I still won't be doing this anytime soon:





Not even for a dollar.

4 comments:

Chickpea said...

I'm surprised, thought there might have been some left from when I visited a few years ago. We Cornish do tend to leave our mark around the world, though it would probably be Cornish pasty bacteria.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

That being said, I still won't be doing this anytime soon:

I suppose fecal transplants are right out?
~

mikey said...

Yeah, these studies always crack me up. Like the one a few years back that found that virtually all cell phones had traces of 'fecal matter'.

The funny part is that people DO freak out - but the fact is the only difference between today and last week is you know something you didn't. The extant conditions are entirely unchanged...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I'm surprised, thought there might have been some left from when I visited a few years ago.

So, you're saying you left your mark on the city?

I suppose fecal transplants are right out?

I should put myself on the donor list.

Yeah, these studies always crack me up. Like the one a few years back that found that virtually all cell phones had traces of 'fecal matter'.

I chalk that up to shitty telecom companies.

Yeah, people freak out about shit, they really need to make their peace with something that is an integral part of everybody's lives.