Monday, February 9, 2015

Third Crappy Monday in a Row

Once again, we've had inclement weather on a Monday, here in the Northeast. I left work at 1AM and took my time driving home because a light freezing rain was falling, and I was concerned about black ice on the roads. By the time I got home, all of the parking spots on the block were taken... well, those not occupied by miniature icebergs. I ended up parking a block and a half away, in front of the local school. Because of the weather, alternate side of the street rules were suspended, on a typical day, all the cars clear out by 8AM to avoid tickets.

I set the alarm for quarter-to-eight so I could get the lay of the land. When my usual spot opened up, I parked my car there, on a side street with no alternate side rules. All's fair in parking! Besides, I was merely reclaiming the spot I usually park in, and have for the past eight years.

I typically have Mondays off, which has been a mixed blessing- I didn't have to drive to work this morning, and I was able to steal my parking spot back from the schmuck who parked in it. I also had a craptastic day off, and am reluctant to move the car out of a coveted spot. I have tomorrow off too. It's supposed to get above freezing tomorrow, so I'll probably break up a few huge piles of snow to promote melting. Foolishly, I forgot to borrow a mattock from the job, the snow mounds are that formidable.

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Two people have already slipped (and hit the deck) on our icy front steps this morning.
~

OBS said...

We got the ass-end of the system that hit NorCal hard, but other than a couple waterlogged trees falling, no major issues. Gonna be mostly sunny and 55-60 degrees for the next week. NOT what it's s'posed to be doing this time of year. Our mountain snowpack is at near-record lows, and many of the smaller ski areas are completely fucked.

It's actually been a really pleasant winter, but we are going to pay a huge price come summer if it continues like this.

We probably shouldn't have broken the planet.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Two people have already slipped (and hit the deck) on our icy front steps this morning.

Can't be too careful, Thunder!

We probably shouldn't have broken the planet.

Yeah, we are our own asteroid.