Sunday, February 1, 2015

Sportball Spectacle

There seems to be some sort of major sporting event taking place tonight, some sort of athletic spectacle of some notoriety. Now, I've read Guy Debord's Society of the Spectacle, so I have a pretty good idea of what's going on. Let's see what fly Guy had to say: In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles. Everything that was directly lived has moved away into a representation. Yeah, that pretty much holds true, although I did see about twenty young guys playing football on the snowy school athletic field near my house, so somebody is directly living the football dream.

Me? I'm at work, taking a break from reading one of the key documents of the Situationist International movement during a lull on the job. While most Americans are watching the game and indulging in an orgy of caloric consumption second only to Thanksgiving Day, some of us are otherwise occupied. For instance God-botherer Jan Markel is on the case, noting that tonight's halftime show featuring Katy Perry, Zoey Deschanel's bosomier, more salacious lookalike, will be bringing sin into livingrooms and bars across the country:

“Katy Perry will be doing the halftime and it will be complete maximum evil which is nothing new, and Paul, you of all people know more than anybody with some of the halftime stuff.”


Yep, Katy Perry will be perpetrating "complete maximum evil" on a day when religious fanatics beheaded a courageous journalist, a day on which violence rages in the Ukraine and the Middle East, a day on which thousands of people will die violently, a day on which millions of people will know hunger and privation.

I don't know about you, but I think that a world in which a thirty year-old sex bomb with big natural boobs and small artificial talent bumps and grinds on a stage for a half hour constitutes "complete maximum evil" would be a much better place than the world we've got. Regardless of which team you're rooting for, I sure hope you're rooting for a victory of "sexy" over "violent".

That victory would be spectacular.

5 comments:

Syrbal/Labrys said...

I still recall our one-time uber-Baptist neighbors; the mom would leap up and cover the television screen with her skirts for eve a KISS -- but they could watch ANY amount of blood and guts and violence.

Yep, nothing dysfunctional or mis-prioritized THERE!

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Yep, nothing dysfunctional or mis-prioritized THERE!

Friggin' crazy! It's too bad the bonobos didn't take over the planet instead of us.

M. Bouffant said...

No further proof of their "maximum evil" is needed after noting they prefer violence & death over S-E-X every time.

The Spectacle of Katy:
"I said, 'God, will you please let me have boobs so big that I can't see my feet.'"

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

And God said, "LORD HAVE MERCY!"

I suppose "beaucoup" isn't French for "big cups" or I'd really killdozer this joke.
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

"I said, 'God, will you please let me have boobs so big that I can't see my feet.'"

Praise Jesus!

And God said, "LORD HAVE MERCY!"

Have mammaries!