Thursday, September 2, 2021

Ida Know a Thing

I made a glaring error in yesterday's post, when I wrote that Ida posed more of a danger to the Gulf Coast than it did to the NYC metro area, where thirteen people were reported dead.  I spent much of the night vacuuming water from the basement, taking breaks when the repeated act of moving the 2.75 gallons of water in the filled vacuum to drain it made me sore.  As you can imagine, those breaks were occupied with watching coverage of the storm's effect on my neck of the woods.  I have never been so happy to live on a hill in a city of hills.

Today was a weird day, a sunny day punctuated by still-extant flood warnings on my phone.  The residual winds of the departed storm provided for cool conditions.  I spent much of the day mopping, the water having subsided enough to make the wet-vac impractical, then I set up a fan to help evaporate any residual moisture.

This afternoon, I had idle post-Ida hands, so my upstairs neighbor and I cracked open a couple of beers.  Even sitting around, having brewskis, I had to take a couple of phone calls regarding the storm's effects on one of my workplaces- the storm had washed away portions of a gravel driveway, and an onsite rental property had a flooded basement with a damaged door.  My boss also informed me that the site would be closed to the public all weekend, the road is off limit to non-local traffic.

I've indicated that I got off lightly, but that being said, it will still take days for conditions to return back to normal.

3 comments:

Anathema Device said...

I'm sure I am not alone in being grateful you are safe and well, and got off relatively lightly.

Ali Redford said...

I second Anathema Device, with thanks.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Thanks!

The worst thing about Ida was that it approached from the west, but that in no way diminished the rainfall.