Saturday, September 4, 2021

A New Underground Railroad?

This has been a busy week, so I have not been able to devote much time and cogitation to the Texas abortion ban, and its accompanying law allowing private individuals to sue abortion providers, and others assisting a woman or girl to obtain an abortion for at least $10K.  The later provision strikes me as particularly deranged- it would allow a rapist to sue a girl's mother for driving her to a clinic to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.  Enraged exes?  Jealous jilted jerks?  Hateful neighbors?  All would be empowered to ruin the lives of persons involved in the termination of an unwanted pregnancy.  The Supreme Court, in supremely cowardly fashion, de facto upheld the law by simply not acting to rule on it.

A few years ago, I discussed the need for an organization, or organizations, analogous to the Underground Railroad.  Back then, I envisioned it as existing to safeguard immigrants in order to allow them to escape unjust authorities, but now I see a need for an organization which could transport women and girls wishing to terminate unwanted pregnancies to safe states, where the procedures could be performed by providers unfettered by a coterie of Texas misogynists.

It's going to get worse in the short term, as states such as Florida are considering Texas-style abortion bans of their own.  As I said, for a few years, I have been pondering the need for a new Underground Railroad, and I am concerned that I was right.  The 2022 midterm elections cannot come quickly enough.. the GOP needs to be terminated.  It's not like it has a functioning heart, after all.

3 comments:

agnesblout said...

Republican Party is clearly brain dead....remove from life support....I have a feeling that I will be involved in that underground railroad.

Al said...

Do not under estimate the evil that the Republicans are capable of. Republicans Tom Cotton and Mike Pompeo , both ex military men, want to become the President of the US. They are both smarter, more devious and evil than Donald Trump. They are also both Christian Fascists with a plan to make the US Empire even more evil than it already is.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I think we'll all be involved in that Underground Railroad.