Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A Little Christmas Music

Longtime readers will know what my all-time favorite Christmas song is (for the record, my favorite traditional carol is Oh, Holy Night, but most of the versions on Youtube are sub-par). This year, I heard another great Christmas song about New York, Bells of St. Ignatius by Wormburner:





The song was written as a "response" to Fairytale of New York... while "Fairytale" tells the tale of the emotional trajectory of an immigrant couple as they fall in and out of love, with a (slim) possibility of a reconciliation, Bells of St. Ignatius comes across as a native New Yorker's slice-of-life view of the holiday. I'd wager that the "St Ignatius" referred to in the song's title is the storied St Ignatius of Loyola in the Yorkville section of the Upper East Side.

The song certainly won't knock "Fairytale" off its pedestal in my heart, but it's a fine listen, and one can't have too many good Christmas songs.

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Merry Christmas to you and the family, B^4!
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Merry Christmas, Thunder!

Chickpea said...

Great tune. Fairytale is my favourite xmas tune but Tim Minchin Drinking white wine in the sun comes a close second.http://youtu.be/fCNvZqpa-7Q Hope the link works, I'm rubbish at this sort of thing