Saturday, April 19, 2014

Lunacy on the Job

Despite the fact that I will be ribbed for this, I am happy to report that there is a loon on the premises at work. This afternoon, I found a common loon (in contrast, I'm an uncommon loon) fishing in a small body of water on site:



Here's another shot (poorly focused... I blame the phone!) to show the distinctive white breast:




Again, this is the first time I've seen a common loon on site... indeed the first time I've seen one in the area (I am very familiar with loons from the "great pond" by the family vacation home in Maine). The bird is merely stopping here in the middle of migrating to the great northern lakes, but the enchanting quality the bird lends to the site will linger for a long time in my mind.

Two loons in one week... pretty amazing!

6 comments:

John Going Gently said...

Loons
Abound

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Yeah... at least this one was beautiful, and kept to itself.

Rev. paleotectonics said...

Amazing birds - love em when they have a chick or two on their back! Yer a lucky guy.

Patricia said...

I have a LOT of loons at my job, but none as nice as that one.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Amazing birds - love em when they have a chick or two on their back! Yer a lucky guy.

I certainly am- I've even had the pleasure of sitting on the front porch, the lake (technically a "great pond", using Maine terminology) lapping the shore two feet from my chair, sipping a cup of coffee and listening to their haunting cries.

I have a LOT of loons at my job, but none as nice as that one.

Most of us have had that experience.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Loon's back this evening- it wasn't on the premises earlier this afternoon. I'm going to let my co-workers know to keep their eyes peeled for it tomorrow.