Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Three Weeks Has Never Seemed So Long

 Three weeks until the upcoming presidential election, and it seems like an eternity.  I swear, the 2020 time dilation effect is going into overdrive.  Already we have seen coast-to-coast Republican election tampering, from illegal ballot boxes in California to hours-long waits at Georgia polling sites.  Yep, this coming three weeks is going to d-r-a-g on in agonizing fashion.

Since last year, New York State has allowed early voting- this year the early voting starts on October 24.  I typically work on Election Day, because my workplace is a polling site, and someone needs to make sure that the physical plant is up to the needs of the public... for example, one year a poll worker plugged in an electric heater and tripped a circuit breaker, which I had to rectify after telling them: "Light, heat, or voting... PICK TWO!"  This year, I will probably have to make sure social distancing guidelines and mask compliance are met... I am already trying to figure out the best way to ensure one-way traffic through our building for non-handicapped voters (the main entrance is the handicap-accessible, the side ones that I will suggest be used as exits, not so much).  I really want to get my crucial voting accomplished before then.

Three weeks... in a year that seems like it's been a century, time only seems to be slowing down.  I'm sure it'll be over in the blink of an eye, though.


3 comments:

Ali Redford said...

... yeah ...
sigh

Buttermilk Sky said...

I voted by mail. Filling in the little ovals felt so good...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I can't wait until I can vote early.