Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Happy Three Kings' Day

Today was the Feast of the Epiphany, the 12th day of Christmas, on which many European and Latin American peoples exchange gifts. My mom's new next-door neighbors are immigrants from Mexico (who have two U.S. born children). Mom gave them a batch of cookies on Christmas Day. Tonight, after dinner, the kids paid her a visit and gave her a potted orchid as a gift. Mom has a knack with plants- many times, she has nurtured "gift" poinsettias until they attained the status of small shrubs. I expect this orchid will be taking up much of her living room in a few months.

Mom also has a knack for making friends with the neighbors, always has, and blossoming friendships are even better than orchids.

2 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Good on yer mum!
~

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I have an associate working with me on my current projects, and as a native of Puerto Rico, she and her family also celebrate Three Kings Day...