Friday, June 8, 2012

Empress of the World

I have a co-worker who is universally beloved... she's good-hearted, intelligent, funny, pretty, hard-working, multitalented, and sings splendidly in a clear alto (and, no, she didn't pay me to write that). She belongs to the Young New Yorkers' Chorus, which will be performing Karl Orff's Carmina Burana at Manhattan's Symphony Space tonight. I have to confess that, while I love Carmina Burana, I can't help but think of Excalibur whenever I hear it. I think I'm going to have to dig up a helmet somewhere, and I swear I'll mace anyone who tells me to take it off.

Anyway, here's Carmina Burana in its entirety:





For a taste of the Young New Yorkers' Chorus, here's a video of them performing Mueller's Caritas Est:





I had to jump through a hoop to attend this concert- I pulled the switcheroo with the lovely gent who was scheduled to work the graveyard shift. At least, I will have the adrenaline rush from the reprise of O, Fortuna to help keep my ass awake during the overnight.

Oh, and which of the singers is my co-worker? Shya, she's the alto.