Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

Today marks the celebration of the solemn Feast of St. Valentine, a day devoted to the celebration of gang violence. On this feast day commemorating a celibate martyr, we celebrate love and passion by purchasing lumps of carbon gathered by desperate, brutalized peasants and the fermented embryos of a tropical tree. On the topic of love, a wiser man than I said:


Love crops up quite a lot as something to sing about,
cos most groups make most of their songs about falling in love
or how happy they are to be in love,
you occasionally wonder why these groups do sing about it all the time -
it's because these groups think there's something very special about it
either that or else it's because everybody else sings about it and always has,
you know to burst into song you have to be inspired
and nothing inspires quite like love.

These groups and singers think that they appeal to everyone
by singing about love because apparently everyone has or can love
or so they would have you believe anyway
but these groups seem to go along with what, the belief
that love is deep in everyone's personality.
I don't think we're saying there's anything wrong with love,
we just don't think that what goes on between two people
should be shrouded with mystery.



Of course, I'd remiss (un-loving even) if I didn't post a video for the amazing Anthrax by Gang of Four:





Now I feel kinda bad... like I came across as bitter and cynical. That's no way to spend Valentine's Day. How about something tender? Here's a little number that's sweet, yet fuzzy- like a piece of bubblegum that was idly stuck in one's pocket, and is covered with lint:





Last night, the Ramones won a lifetime achievement Grammy award, almost ten years after the death of Joey Ramone. Effin' Grammys, how do they work? To show how out of it the Grammy nominating commission is, this guy damn near swept the Grammys in 1981. Gadzooks, the music industrial complex cannot crash and burn quickly enough.

12 comments:

Vonnie said...

GReat posts, and those songs are both perfect

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Von!

Substance McGravitas said...

The fermented embryos of tropical trees do not gather diamonds so well so I punish them by eating them.

vacuumslayer said...

FTR, I've got no problem with bitterness and cynicism.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I celebrated by going to improv class. I wasn't feeling it so well today...the other beginners were making it look easy though.
~

Hunger Tallest Palin said...

My mom objected to "Anthrax" on the grounds it would warp my view of love and relationships.

She objected to all of The Ramone's cannon because I played it too loud. That's what she gets for introducing her first fetus to Hendrix.

Hooray, I'm old!

Smut Clyde said...

The fermented embryos of tropical trees

In the interests of full disclosure and pedantry I must insist that the proper recipe also includes the fertilised ova of tropical orchids.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I sent an ecard. electrons toiling in the InterSweatshops.

FTR, I've got no problem with bitterness and cynicism.


Ahh. THAT explains why you hang around my blog.

Since it is the Day After VD, this.

vacuumslayer said...

"Ahh. THAT explains why you hang around my blog."

I come for the architecture, I STAY for the bitterness.


Phizess

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I come for the architecture, I STAY for the bitterness.

Just wait until he designs the Angostura Building...

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

"I come for the architecture, I STAY for the bitterness.

Just wait until he designs the Angostura Building..."



Ooh, nice! *applause*

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I will take that commission.

To whom shall I send the draw request for the retainer?