Saturday, June 26, 2010

Moon Musings

Fueled by yerba maté, I'm working the graveyard tonight (it makes juggling jobs easier these days), and the moon is full. The moonlight has been so bright, one could read a newspaper without artificial illumination. Maybe my mention of the Black Rabbit of Inlé in my previous post was subconsciously inspired by the fact that the moon would be full tonight. Without giving away any secrets, (in connection with another post earlier this week) another silly scrap of doggerel comes to mind on this, the night of the full moon:

Overhead, the moon is screaming
White as turnips, on the Rhine


That's a takeoff on the Serenade from The Student Prince, a musical I know mainly from a Benny Hill spoof of the song Drink! Drink! Drink! (I can't find the Benny Hill video on teh t00bz).

Another poem, a riddle, comes to mind- I don't know if it's a traditional one, or one written by a guy named Lawrence Schick, but here it is:

Round she is, yet flat as a board
Altar of the Lupine Lords.
Jewel on black velvet, pearl in the sea
Unchanged but e'er changing, eternally


Enough of my lunacy, here's a little lunatic ditty from my favorite evangelists, St Joey, St Johnny, St Dee Dee and St (at this point in their career) Richie:




Oddly enough, Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics produced the song.

Postscript: I'll have to read this post tomorrow, after I've had some decent sleep- it looks pretty grammatical at 4:25 AM, but that's not reassuring.

5 comments:

Smut Clyde said...

"A yerba maté-fueled rampage" somehow lacks that sense of gonzo credibility.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

"A yerba maté-fueled rampage" somehow lacks that sense of gonzo credibility.

AHEM!

M. Bouffant said...

Funny you should mention the moon.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I find it even more disconcerting that another of their albums was produced by Graham Gouldman of 10cc.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Mu mu musings
~