Monday, March 7, 2022

The Countdown to the Solemn Feast of St Patrick 2022

There's a countdown going on, and I'm not talking about the countdown to WW3 right now, though I wouldn't discount that.  I'm talking about the countdown to the Solemn Feast of St Patrick, which pretty much had been canceled for the past two years.

It's the custom of this blog to count the days to St Paddy's Day by posting videos of Irish music, typically traditional songs or modern ballads rooted in traditional or historical themes.  Today, though, we begin this year's countdown with a band that Friend of the Bastard J-Co mentioned today in a text conversation.  Zerra One, a new wave band formed in 1982, actually supported such 80s juggernauts as the Cure, U2, and the Boomtown Rats on tour, but quite found mainstream success.  The song I remember being played on the storied WLIR in my youth was Rescue Me, which peaked at 82 on the UK charts (CONTENT WARNING: 80s hair):


It's a good song, with a workmanlike sound, not very distinct from a bunch of other songs which became monster hits.  As a result of writing this blog post, I found an earlier single with a rawer sound, and will spend some time listening to more of their oeuvre:


Special thanks go to J-Co for reminding me that this existed... there's no trip like the nostalgia trip!

No comments: