Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Ides Aren't Ideal

Recalling Roman history, we are told that Caesar was instructed to beware the Ides of March.  Well, the Ides are not ideal.  Last night, I received a call from one of my coworkers- the stents he had received last summer are not working, so he's going to need bypass surgery.  He'll be out for an undetermined amount of time, if he's able to come back at all.

Obviously, I told him that his health is of paramount importance, and that he sfrhouldn't even concern himself about this part-time, second job.  I value him as a friend as well as a colleague.  We have similar values and similar attitudes, and we just get along famously.

Today is an election day, and we are a polling site.  Because we are short-staffed, I started at 9AM and will be working until 9PM.  For the record, the one other gent in my department handled the 9PM to 9AM overnight, and will be back at 9PM, when the poll workers will still be present, sealing up the voting machines and waiting for the Board of Elections personnel to arrive to do their magic.

I have to say that the poll workers are, generally speaking, nice people.  That being said, one of them is a bit nosy, and kept asking me questions about the job, including what hours I work... I thought to myself, :"I work alone at nights, there's no way that I'm telling anybody what hours I'm covering the site."  If she wants to find out, she can try to sneak onto the site.  As if that weren't bad enough, she started complaining about the number of conservative media outlets on her cable package, and I had to tell her that she's getting a bit too close to breaking the 'no electioneering within 100 feet of a polling site' rule.  I might agree with her, but rules are rules.  She's the poll worker, she should know better.

Yeah, the Ides are not ideal, but at least I have a twelve hour period to cobble together a schedule for the upcoming weeks...

1 comment:

Bathwater said...

And here I thought about volunteering at the polls-- until I read this.