Wednesday, December 29, 2021

2021 Music Retrospective Part 2: The New Kids

In yesterday's post I wrote about 2021 releases by music industry stalwarts whose careers began in the 1970s.  Today's post will be about emergent artists who have released notable music this year.  It's going to be a fairly short post because I considered one musical act to be the 2021 juggernaut, and not the one you're thinking of.

There were other bands who released fantastic debut singles, but the one band that steamrolled all competition was Isle of Wight based Wet Leg, who's debut single I posted about in August.  This band has it all: an off-kilter sense of humor, a visually arresting lead singer, a unique Amishesque fashion aesthetic, and most important of all, the ability to absolutely shred.  

I first heard them on college radio, and watched closely as they achieved viral stardom with the hilarious Chaise Longue.  The last time I felt this way about a band was when The Chats went viral two years ago.  There are parallels in the two bands' DIY video style (compare the titles at the beginnings of the videos to Chaise Longue and Smoko), slightly demented senses of humor, and even striking redheaded lead singers.  Bands rise and fall on the strength of their music, though, and both bands deliver.

I feel a slight pang of FOMO about missing Wet Leg's Brooklyn debut due to work and the 'rona, but life and livelihood are kinda important to me.  I predict the band will be around for a while, maybe I'll catch them in a stadium show in a couple of years.

Here's a video of the band playing NPR's Tiny Desk, a performance which captures well not only the band's musicality, but the deadpan snarker (WARNING: TV Tropes link, therefore time sink) affect  of leads Rhian and Hester which I find so appealing:

 

Sure, other bands emerged this year, but the competition for best new arrival is no contest... there can be only one.

No comments: