Thursday, February 25, 2021

Trolling as Policy

The new representative from Georgia's 14th congressional district has some interesting priorities, namely trolling the libs:

Now, I'd like to think of myself as having a pretty good handle on science, for a layperson, and Greene's sign is garbage, from a scientific standpoint (and a social standpoint, and a political standpoint, and a constitutional standpoint...). Gender is more complex than a simple binary of male and female- there are numerous biological conditions which result in an intersex condition. It's mind-boggling to me that our society, which claims the mantle of sophistication, tends to be resistant to this truth- numerous societies since antiquity have recognized the existence of a third gender

Here's where I confess that I had to educate myself about this topic- the issue of transgender identity never even came up in conversation when I was a pup... I did not know all there is to know about the crying game. I have several transgendered friends online who were able to point me towards sources regarding gender identity. I'm almost cartoonishly cisgendered, and het, but my personal belief is that anyone who means no harm to others should be able to express an identity which maximizes their potential to be happy. This new culture war is, to me, just a revival of the lost culture war against same-sex marriage, with the goalposts moved- as the general public became more accepting of gay and lesbian persons, a new target was needed, and transgendered persons are the new target, as their identity is confusing to many people. 

 This is a topic that I revisit on occasion, because it is the central culture war item post 2015. I endeavor to be an ally to the entire LGBTQIA community, and firmly believe that intersectionality is integral to human rights issues. I realize that transgender issues make some people uncomfortable, but lesbian-and-gay issues made people uncomfortable not-so-long ago. Don't let bigots such as Marjorie Taylor Green use transgendered persons as a Trojan Horse to sneak in a rollback of human rights for everybody.

ADDENDUM: What the hell is this bullshit?  No need to answer that...

4 comments:

Ali Redford said...

Thank you. Thank you for your statement, and for your actions. Everything makes a difference.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I've always loathed bullies. I won't stand for them moving the goalposts in order to keep marginalizing people so they can victimize them.

Richard said...

That is a mentally ill person . That person really shouldn't be there. They are obviously having a freak out. That person is dangerous. They should get out of there before they hurt someone.

Richard said...

Why are the culture warriors so upset about "trans people? I don't understand. Live and let live. They spin this whole fantasy about sexual predators and hidden perversions. Everybody has heard about " christians" and their weird beliefs. Give it a rest.
I've only met a few trans people. No problem. They seem ok to me. This is a culture war that i will not be fighting.