Saturday, February 20, 2021

Christmas DeJoy

Back in December, my brother Vincenzo's wife told me that I should be looking out for a Christmas present that she had ordered for me, indicating that it was supposed to arrive by December 20th. Last Wednesday, my upstairs neighbor informed me that a package had arrived for me. Sure enough, it was box containing a large tin, colored a festive Christmas red, filled with a popcorn sampler. Yes, my Christmas present had arrived on Ash Wednesday. I texted my sister-in-law, telling her that the package had arrived. Her first thought is that I had forgotten to text her about the arrival, her second thought was that she might have muffed the address... no on both counts, her information was perfect. Rather than experiencing the joy of Christmas, I experienced the DeJoy of Christmas, the mail delays that everybody knows were engineered to screw up the counting of mail-in ballots. To compound matters, the postal screw-ups also set me back financially- a significant check that had been sent in mid-November never arrived, necessitating a cancellation, and recent reissue. Yeah, this time, it's personal. DeJoy has got to go, as soon as the Postal Board of Governors can be replaced in order to effect his ouster. Damn, did this asshole find a tight crevice in which to wedge himself, or what? 

Anyway, now I have a big tin of popcorn (and, I must say, a check of financial significance), just in time to replace the giant jar of cheeseballs that I won in a dance contest last year. Snack succession achieved! I joked to my sister-in-law that it's a good thing I didn't give up popcorn for Lent!

No comments: