Monday, August 21, 2017

It's a Total Eclipse of the Sun

Wow, everybody in the States seems to have eclipse fever. Here in the NYC metro area, we will get a 70% eclipse. I am planning on rigging a pinhole projection setup to observe the eclipse. Three of my friends are traveling to South Carolina to view the eclipse, and one friend is traveling to Kentucky to view it in its totality.

For my traveling friends and my family members living in the Southerly climes, I am dedicating a video segment from one of my favorite concert films, the 1982 release Urgh! A Music War. One of the high points of the film is the otherworldly Klaus Nomi performance of Total Eclipse:





In 2004, The Nomi Song, a documentary about the singer's life and career, was released to critical acclaim. It's a fascinating film, a 'close encounters' tale about an alien who graced our planet for a tragically short time.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some cardboard to hunt down before heading out for some eclipse observation.

2 comments:

mikey said...

We were totally socked in - that's normal for coastal Northern California in the summer, the overcast 'burns off' late in the morning or early in the afternoon - but the grey darkness of clouds was enhanced by the reduction in sunlight behind them, leaving a dim, cool, peaceful atmosphere that I absolutely adored....

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Sounds like a lovely morning. I went to a local park and there were a few of us with pinhole projectors. One guy was a stage lighting guy, so I got his card so I could pass along his info to friends of mine.

I also ran into an old friend of mine who I last saw when she came over to bid goodbye to Fred on his last night. She had just finished dealing with her father's estate, is in the process of selling the old house, and moving on to a new stage in life.

It was an interesting day.