Tuesday, August 29, 2017

From NY to Texas, We Love You, Stop Voting for Assholes

I have expressed anger at Texas' senators for holding up relief funds for New York and New Jersey post-Sandy, but, not being a monster, I have to hold myself to a better standard than those assholes... I can't sit by and do nothing for the people of Southeast Texas in the face of Hurricane Harvey. I am not a believer in big charities- I have seen too much about even seemingly reputable charities using funds to pay unreasonable executive compensation and fundraising costs. Accordingly, I have donated by dollars to local groups- the Central Texas Food Bank and the San Antonio Food Bank. These organizations will be handling the care and feeding of evacuees for the foreseeable future, so I figure they are two of the best bets for money actually getting to the needy.

Being a New Yorker, therefore someone who forgets nothing, I will never forgive the Texas congressional Republican coterie for holding up post-Sandy aid, and I will especially never forgive these assholes for making me think 'screw those people, they didn't come out to help us when we needed them' for even one second. If I am to claim that I am a better person than Cruz et al., I have to be, you know, a better person.

Now, my Texan friends, please take some time to perhaps consider not electing total assholes to represent you?

3 comments:

Harry Hamid said...

You should also keep in mind that Houston didn't go for Trump.

Traditionally, Housotn has gone blue while the overall county we're in goes red. However, in 2016, Hillary Clinton won the county by more than 13 points!

Not that it matters when there are kids and families swimming through the street, really, but it's notable. It's particularly notable in light of the fact that Texas Democrats have not won a single race for statewide office (that is, a race in which the entire state votes) since the Nineties.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Are you guys okay?

Are there any Democrats who can go toe-to-toe with Cruz and Cornyn? I know that Texas cities tend to be blue, are there any viable statewide candidates?

Harry Hamid said...

I'm fine, and most of the people I know are fine. A couple people I know have lost their house but landed with their families for the time being.

I hate to say this, but the Texas Democrats are so weak that the Republicans have started falling to the right. People like the odious Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick are in office right now because they primaried and beat incumbent Republican officials who were deemed too moderate.

The Castro brothers keep getting touted as the saviors of the Democratic Party here, but I am not confident about them. There's the former Houston mayor, Anise Parker, but she is potentially poison statewide because of the infamous subpeona for pastors' sermons.

If the current opposition to Trump keeps building, though, Democrats might be motivated enough in 2018 to actually show up to the polls.