Sunday, August 29, 2021

Dr Jen, I Presume?

Today was a banner day, I got to hang out with Dr Jen W, who is a regular Wonkette commenter.  While on a Zoom hangout session, she mentioned that she would be flying in from Portland, OR, and asked, "When are we going to hang out?"  My reply was, "With my work schedule, I can take you to my workplace for an afternoon visit, or we could meet at Wo Hop in Chinatown at 2AM for some chow fun."  I guess the prospect of hanging out with a bunch of drunks and cops in the wee hours of the morning wasn't so appealing. 

We consulted the MTA Metro North schedule, and arranged to meet at the Tarrytown railroad station around 1:15PM, and I drove to one of my worksites, which is open to the public on a limited basis.  We were extraordinarily lucky, there being two bald eagles onsite as well as the usual coterie of wild turkeys and osprey.  I'm hoping that this is a mated pair looking to establish a nest... that would make me ecstatic.  The manager on duty, being even more bird-obsessed than I, brought a pair of binoculars to work, so we were in for quite a treat.  The weather was good for outdoor activity, slightly overcast and seasonally cool.

Our visit was a lovely one, of about two hours, then we went back to Tarrytown for a quick meal of mezédhes at the venerable Lefteris Gyro, before I had to go back to my workplace and clock in by 3:30PM.

The one boneheaded maneuver I pulled today was leaving my phone/camera in the car during our visit, so I didn't take any pictures.  Everything else went perfectly, the timing, the visit itself, the panoply of flora and fauna... I just don't have photographic evidence of it all.  I'd be willing to sign an affidavit to prove that it was a superfun day, though.

2 comments:

Ali Redford said...

I'm glad you got to enjoy a great time!

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

It was a great time with a great person.