Sunday, July 29, 2012

On the Work Front

I had planned to write a really geeky post about purslane today, but I had to spend a few hours making up the work schedule for August and this threw me off of my groove. Making up the work schedule? Uh, yeah, I, uh, got promoted to supervisor at work recently. My boss, who is pretty high up in the organization, told me not to mention it to anyone, but I sorta spilled the beans last night to a co-worker who informed me that the previous supervisor wouldn't be making the schedule up anymore. I chalk my promotion up to the fact that my predecessor has absolutely no facility working with computers, and doesn't know a spreadsheet from a bedspread and a sheet. Me? I did my time at the saddler's trade in a cube farm, so I kinda know how those binary numbers mills work.

I'm usually pretty coy about work here at the blog. Suffice it to say, I work in an extraordinarily beautiful setting with wonderful co-workers both human and otherwise. I've had interesting run-ins with visitors both human and otherwise. I've always enjoyed my job, which makes me an extraordinarily fortunate man.

I started off here five years ago as a part-timer... the job was a guaranteed paycheck every two weeks as I waited months for pokey clients to send checks. Before that, I'd done some per diem work for a friend of mine who is one of our site directors- yeah, I got a foot in the door through connections, but I proved myself early on. I've worked a considerable number of all-nighters, and I've worked holidays. I've always seen my role as "having everybody's back", and I certainly don't plan on that changing now that I'm the supe. Hell, in conscience, I could never ask anyone to do something that I am not willing to do (acts of fellatio are a notable exception, but that's got nothing to do with work). If the schedule demands that someone is going to have to take a beating, I've got to be willing to take it on the chin (not a fellatio reference).

Nothing really changes with the job, I just have a few extra duties, but, as I often say, my job is really cushy, except when it's not.

13 comments:

zencomix said...

I've never tried purslane. I might have some around the yard, but I'm a little hesitant to try a new thing like that unless I can get a positive ID on the plant.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Well congrats on the promotion, and I hope the extra duties don't cause too much pain.
~

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Hmpf. I can no longer talk to you, now that you're THE MAN.

FIGHT THE POWAH!

Substance McGravitas said...

Be a smarty-pants and set up a wiki. They're really good for keeping track of work shit. Plus people assume they require maintenance so it makes you look indispensable if people go for it.

M. Bouffant said...

I made it to "work leader" once, because someone who gave a shit left & I was the only possible replacement. The witch who was the supervisor than insisted I stop wearing jeans & sneakers & sport a tie. The minute she left I was back to being comfortable.

My boss, who is pretty high up in the organization, told me not to mention it to anyone
That is confusing. How can they respect your authority if they don't know they should? Getting the impression your boss can't handle the sheets either, & is just fobbing his/her work on you.

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

That's awesome. I've always gotten the feeling that you like your job better than most working schlubs do, so if you can do what you do and move on up, that's fantastic. I'm happy for ya!

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

I'm a little hesitant to try a new thing like that unless I can get a positive ID on the plant.

Yup, I'm the same way. I'm trying to identify something currently, and one of my readers suggested I take a nibble, but I'm too askeert.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

suggested I take a nibble, but I'm too askeert.

Not a problem zombies have.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I've never tried purslane. I might have some around the yard, but I'm a little hesitant to try a new thing like that unless I can get a positive ID on the plant.

I hear ya! Purslane has reddish stems and "spatulate" succulent leaves, and it crawls along the ground. Mexicans call it "verdolagas", you may find it in a Mexican market.

Well congrats on the promotion, and I hope the extra duties don't cause too much pain.

Thanks, they won't- it's a spreadsheet here, an inventory there. It's pretty easy, all things considered.

Hmpf. I can no longer talk to you, now that you're THE MAN.

You can mime!

Be a smarty-pants and set up a wiki. They're really good for keeping track of work shit.

It's not that involved- a simple document with "best practices" and a couple of checklists would suffice.

Plus people assume they require maintenance so it makes you look indispensable if people go for it.

I think my willingness to work thirty hour stretches during potential disasters pretty much covers the "indispensable" part.

That is confusing. How can they respect your authority if they don't know they should? Getting the impression your boss can't handle the sheets either, & is just fobbing his/her work on you.

It was a temporary measure, as he tried to figure out how to tactfully tell my predecessor that he'd been demoted. The boss is pretty savvy, and he's trying to implement a more tech-oriented approach, but he's got a lot of oars in the water. We get along well, and I can't say enough about the Chief Operating Officer (she's the one who called me hourly during my overnight ass-kicking by Irene- when the phone rings at 4AM, and it's an executive calling to see if you're okay, it makes you feel good about your organization).

That's awesome. I've always gotten the feeling that you like your job better than most working schlubs do, so if you can do what you do and move on up, that's fantastic. I'm happy for ya!

I enjoy myself at work, and look forward to going in each day. I made a promise to myself years ago that I would never stay in a job that felt like a daily kick in the balls.

Yup, I'm the same way. I'm trying to identify something currently, and one of my readers suggested I take a nibble, but I'm too askeert.

I'll be right over!

Not a problem zombies have.

Brains is brains!

Glennis said...

Heavy lies the head that wears the crown!!

I always found that if I were promoted to supervisor from the ranks, it changed my relationship with my colleagues, and I had to remember that and not take it personally. it was a hard lesson to learn. Since then, when I've been a supervisor, I've been hired in as one so I haven't had to make that transition in a while.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I always found that if I were promoted to supervisor from the ranks, it changed my relationship with my colleagues, and I had to remember that and not take it personally.

I don't think things will change- I'm pretty egalitarian, and I pay more attention to detail than my predecessor. I think my co-workers will all be relieved that I'll be the guy handling the computer work, and the inventory checks, as it's less work for them.

Vonnie said...

Congrats!!! You are awesome.
Now, about that purslane stuff.

Kidding - congrats.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Thanks, Von!