Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my kind of holiday- we Americans demonstrate our gratitude to a largely benevolent universe in typical fashion- we eat like porkers and drink like hell... but not today. This year, I'm working, but it's a quiet, pleasant day. My sister, her husband, and their two sons will be passing through the area on Sunday, so I'll get some "family time" in, but today, it's all about a quiet day on the job, and a couple of beers when I get home.

Anyway, there aren't too many Thanksgiving carols, but I figured I'd post the ones with which I am familiar. The first is a cute little ditty by the Damned, the B-side to the single "Smash it Up":





While the "Turkey Song" is fun, the reason it's important is that it inspired one of the greatest songs ever written. Apparently, a German fan asked Shane MacGowan if he knew the "Turkey Song" by the Damned, and the brilliant, though addled, songsmith interpreted that as "Turkish Song of the Damned", and wrote a spine-tingling song about retribution from beyond the grave, inspired by a funny novelty song:





Unfortunately, my favorite Thanksgiving song, and perhaps the most touching love song ever written, cannot be "embedded", but no Thanksgiving would be complete without listening to it.

Note: Yeah, Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete without listening to "Alice's Restaurant", but every radio station worth a damn is playing it. I tend to like to post more unorthodox selections. Happy (U.S.) Thanksgiving, all.

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Happy Happy to you too, BBBB.

This is my favorite holiday. I just drove 336.3 miles (but whose counting), to see the family (and mountain laurels) here in Berkeley Springs.
~

Hamish Mack said...

Happy thanksgiving BBBB. Hey, what about Thinksgiving where we give thanks for clever bastards... oh I see the flaw right there.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Anyway, there aren't too many Thanksgiving carols

How about "Supper's Ready"?

Admittedly, not really a sing-along.