Saturday, November 13, 2010

Never Thought I'd See This

I never thought that I would see a time in which a prominent television personality would broadcast a personal attack utilizing calumnies culled from the notorious forged tract The Protocols of the Elders of Zion on a major television network. Despite his protestations of innocence (oddly combined with a bizarre imprecation of the Anti-Defamation League), the imagery conjured up by Beck to criticize Holocaust survivor George Soros is undeniably similar to that used in anti-semitic publications. Sure, Beck can deny that his attack on Soros is not an attack on the Jews as a whole, but his research (loosely defined) cites a menagerie of anti-semitic kooks, and the conspiracy theorist whose ouvre looms large in Beck's alternative history based some of his beliefs on the works of the "Protocols'" disseminators.


I was tearing up the apartment to find my copy of the Illuminatus! omnibus volume to find a quote about Henry Ford, but I didn't have much time before I had to get my ass to work. The quote roughly read, "Henry Ford introduced the Model T and The Protocols of the Elders of Zion to America, thus polluting the air and the minds of the country." I'll dig the book up to find the exact quote, but suffice it to say that Glenn Beck is continuing this reprehensible trend of stinking up the place.

UPDATE: I dug out my copy of Illuminatus!, and the quote I wanted is in Appendix Nun (the appendices are named after the Hebrew letters used in the Kabbalah):

HENRY FORD: By importing The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion and beginning the mass production of automobiles, he managed to pollute both the mind and the air of the United States, but he meant well, or at least he meant something.

5 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Don't forget that Beck wouldn't be on the air doing what he does if his bosses, Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch, didn't want him doing it.
~

Jack Crow said...

Good catch, on the parallel.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Don't forget that Beck wouldn't be on the air doing what he does if his bosses, Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch, didn't want him doing it.

I think this may be a "bridge too far". When he's attacking the Tides Foundation with dog-whistles, he's only threatening a tiny minority of people. When he goes full-blown "Protocols", he's making a much larger minority nervous.

Good catch, on the parallel.

It's just so damn obvious to anyone who's read up on the bizarre underbelly of our culture. It's so obvious, I can't believe that a producer didn't nix it, which brings us back to Thunder's point...

Wheels within wheels, man... wheels within wheels.

Hamish Mack said...

The boy's not right

77south said...

The boy's not right
You think?