Saturday, November 20, 2010

In Keeping With Our Weekend Tradition

I decided to post an video of an early song by one of my all time favorite songwriters. Here's Gabrielle, a love song by a young pre-ravaged-by-drugs-and-booze Shane MacGowan, fronting his band The Nips (originally The Nipple Erectors). The song isn't really a love song to a girl named Gabrielle, but a love song to the old West End:





Shane's fascination for London was also expressed in such classics as Transmetropolitan, Dark Streets of London, Lullaby of London, and London, You're a Lady. Specific geographical features, such as the Albert Bridge, neighborhoods like Soho, and geographical locales such as hustlers' districts. Even though Shane is usually characterized as an "Irish" artist, London (besides, alas, booze, speed, and horse) always seemed to take first place in his heart. "Gabrielle" may have been his first love letter to the Big Smoke.

Update: Wow, I just realized that I made an omission so glaring, so great that one could drive a double-decker bus through the vexing lacuna made thereby- I forgot to link to the song London Girl, a personal favorite. This song, with its jaunty accordion riff (I've never banned anyone, or moderated comments, but I think I would give a lifetime ban to anyone making a broad disparagment of the accordion), and it's tale of love for a girl simply because she is, indeed, a London girl.

4 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I like it. It seems to have some The Isley Brothers meet the Kingsmen vibe to it.
~

Glennis said...

Wow, he sound so young.

My kid is in London now, did I mention that? In grad school. He loves the Pogues, but I don't know if he knows the Nips. (he probably does, he's quite a rock scholar.) I should send this to him.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Your son seems to get around to all the great cities of the world, Aunt Snow. He's certainly a credit to his awesome parents. It's been a few years since I've been to London, but it's amazing how "at home" I felt. Going through Clapham Junction, or riding on the Northern Line, or walking by the Thames the lights on the embankment like jewels on chains.

Smut Clyde said...

Do not get me started about the Northern Line.
Or the Piccadilly Line come to that.