Friday, June 12, 2020

Talking 'Bout the Bees and the Bees

We have several wooden structures at my typical workplace which play host to carpenter bees (here in the Northeastern US, they'd be Xylocopa virginica, which are decent pollinators, but terrible houseguests. These large bees don't have queens, and the drones are approximately the same size as the females. They are a common sight here, though for the first time in my life, I appear to have caught two of them in flagrante delicto:




Get a room, you two, and don't burrow through all of the wainscoting!

3 comments:

Anathema Device said...

Bonking bees!

Nice photo, and glad to know your workplace is bee-friendly. We need them so badly.

Li'l Innocent said...

Thank you for this intimate peek at Carpenter Bee Romance. I've been wondering about them for years and never bothered to look it up; they conduct a multi-participant Bee-In (you may not be old enough to get that ref - am I being obscure?) around our old house's big wooden front porch every spring.

I kmow they're attracted to it as a splendid site for boring sawdust out of the big pillars supporting the front corners, but I could never tell what their obviously passionate zooming and chasing was about. Territory? Establishing nesting sites? But now I think it's probably about love. Go to it, guys and girls.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Nice photo, and glad to know your workplace is bee-friendly. We need them so badly.

Our grounds staff is low-impact, they are not big on pesticides and herbicides. We have a varied biome onsite.

I've been wondering about them for years and never bothered to look it up; they conduct a multi-participant Bee-In (you may not be old enough to get that ref - am I being obscure?) around our old house's big wooden front porch every spring.

I got the reference via pop culture. They DO bore pretty big holes in everything.