Sunday, June 21, 2020

Happy Fathers' Day, Guys

Here's wishing a happy Fathers' Day to all of my readers, and to my brothers, brother-in-law, and various uncles and cousins. Friends as well, good dads are needed these days. I've often said that the problem with toxic masculinity is the toxicity, not the masculinity, so it's important for fathers to instill in their sons a healthy, functional masculinity. As much of a beer lover as I am, I'm not a fan of 'hold my beer' culture.

It's pretty telling, though, that most of the songs about fathers are about overbearing or neglectful fathers... the one song that comes to mind that portrays a father in unambiguously positive terms is about the passing of the singer's father:





So, thanks, guys, for being good fathers, and raising good kids. I know you guys can all sing "he'd grown up just like me" and it will be a positive thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, you may be Big and Bald but I'm just not buying the Bad Bastard part.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I convincingly play a Bad Bastard when it is to my advantage. I might have to do it tonight, if the person setting off fireworks comes onto the property here at work.