Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Cinco de Mayo, Dos Mil y Veinte!

2020 just isn't a year for snarking, something which breaks my heart. I think this blog reached its pinnacle of snark exactly eight years ago, with my Cinco de Mao post. I had something really stupid to riff off- a right-wing dumbass conflating the Kenyan Usurper's campaign kickoff, Marx' birthday, and los hombres peligrosos from our dreaded southern neighbor.

This Cinco de Mayo, social distancing style, I am uncharacteristically working on a Tuesday because one of my co-workers needed off to celebrate his 25th wedding anniversary. Before the lockdown, Tuesday was a drinking night, a weekly team bar trivia contest and beer fest. I had to improvise a nacho plate with chips, salsa, and chorizo purchased at the supermarket.

I figured I'd take an opportunity to mention that I find Mexican people likeable. I have an appreciation for their culture, foodways, and music. As a high schooler, I worked at a local deli near a large contracting firm's headquarters. Every morning, the Mexican work crews would come in for their egg sandwiches, and every afternoon, they would come in for their after work beers. Some of the laborers' English was limited to 'king size Budweiser!' I would always shock them by speaking honors high school Spanish to them, and they loved me for it. I have to say that just shooting the breeze with them was just as important in my learning the language as the classroom instruction was. For most of my working life, I've had the privilege of working with people of Mexican heritage. On those rare Sundays when I had a day off, I would sometimes join the Club Deporte de Jalisco in the venerable Mr Taco for tripe soup and a bottle of Negra Modelo. When Trump tried to portray Mexicans as criminals, I was appalled- my primary thought was, "If these people are so bad, why do Americans hire them to care for their children and to work in our food production processes from sowing to cleaning the dishes after dinner?" Trump himself was known for hiring undocumented workers.

The demonization of Latin Americans still appalls me, especially considering how dysfunctional this country has become. The way things are going here, Mexico actually will pay to build a border wall.

3 comments:

Anathema Device said...

I've lived in or visited many cities around the world, and the most vibrant, interesting, and creative ones are those which have strong immigrant communities. This has always been the case throughout the history of the world. When one country diminishes itself by kicking out an ethnic or religious group, whether it be Jews from Spain, or Indians from Uganda, the countries which accept the refugees are permanently enriched by doing so.

I very firmly disagree with the current and former Australian governments' stances on immigration and refugees - a stance which is ridiculous considering everyone here (even the Aborigines or their family) is from somewhere else, originally.

Trump is a fool, but I repeat myself.

Anonymous said...

"The way things are going here, Mexico actually will pay to build a border wall."

GOOD ONE! I had a similar thought recently; how ironic if Mexico decided to build a wall themselves to keep out sick Americans. How do you say "They aren't sending their healthiest people..." in Spanish? I bet they actually would pay for it too. AND, then Canada decides that's a good idea!!

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I've lived in or visited many cities around the world, and the most vibrant, interesting, and creative ones are those which have strong immigrant communities.

Yeah, this is why I don't think I'd ever move away from the NYC metro area, it's just too entertaining.

"They aren't sending their healthiest people..."

Ellos no mandan la gente más sana. Yeah, it's a cognate of 'sane', and it works in that way as well.