Friday, September 2, 2016

Warning to Researchers: Don't Fall in Love

One of the big stories from earlier in the week was news of the discovery of a radio signal of extraterrestrial origin that needs to be further examined. I'm not overly optimistic that this signal is evidence of an extrasolar civilization, but such a discovery would be a neat thing to see happen in my lifetime. Even with my pessimistic view, I have one word of warming to any scientists investigating the origin of this signal... don't fall in love:





Oddly enough, I seem to have only one post mentioning Split Enz, even though they have long been a favorite band of mine. A few years back, I posted a link to a documentary about New Zealand's Flying Nun Records that Another Kiwi was kind enough to refer to me. At any rate, 'Poor Boy' is a cautionary tale... Proxima Centauri B is no place to go looking for romance.

4 comments:

tony in san diego said...

look at all that fluffy hair!

mikey said...

Lots of weird stuff about the 'signal' from the region of HD 164595. The Russians detected it in 2015, but are only now talking about it. SETI researchers are flatly unimpressed. The signal was too powerful, it frequency broad and it only showed up in one scan out of 39.

Almost certainly terrestrial in origin...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I usually put up a 'warning, 80's hair' disclaimer, tony.

I'm not optimistic, mikey, as I said. Too many false signals before. Sheesh, even the 'bloop' here on earth had a pretty lackluster explanation.

Smut Clyde said...

I've been waiting 50 years for the mothership to come back and take me home, I can wait a little longer.